Thursday, May 27, 2010

Remembering my Roots

This past week, I spent sending documents to a website in Mexico so that my grandfather's name could be added to a list of the defenders of Huandacareo during the years 1910-1919. Those are the years known as the Mexican Revolution. But my grandpa was not a revolutionary. He was a private citizen of a small secluded farming community that resisted the invasion of violent raiders and pillagers into his town.

After 1919, he left Mexico for the United States to found our family. He and grandma worked hard and with the Lord's blessing and protection, had a full life and a peaceful retirement. He and grandma remained Mexican citizens, and out of deference and respect to them, Spanish was always spoken in their presence.

He lived a quiet life in retirement and I remember him working in his garden every day. He was organized and disciplined about his life and the way he approached everything.

Although he would never seek any recognition for himself for any good that he did on this earth, when I happened on a website about the defense of Huandacareo, I decided to inquire about adding my grandfather's name. I had copies of certificates awarded in 1943 and 1964 commemorating his participation in the defense of the town.

The website is at: http://www.huandarevolucion.galeon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment