Monday, May 31, 2010

Huandacareo, Michoacan, Mexico

My grandfather, Mauro Velazquez Montes, has just been listed among the defenders of the town of Huandacareo. He is listed as #140 and there is even a picture of him! His participation in the defense of Huandacareo has been verified by diplomas awarded by the town's municipal presidents (our equivalent of a mayor) the 8th of January, 1943 and the 8th of January, 1964. I recently was given a copy of these documents as I have always been interested in my family's history. On May 12th, I decided to contact the webmaster at http://www.huandarevolucion.galeon.com/ . Since that time until late Sunday night 5-30-2010 I have been in almost daily communication with the webmaster. Now I am happy to report that the website has listed my grandpa's name!

Not many people are aware that it was 100 years ago that the violent raids (1910-1919) began which would change the ruling powers of Mexico. The history of Huandacareo and the battle of 8th of January 1918, is the story of townspeople who defended themselves against invading maruaders. It was a time of complete lawlessness and violence. Nothing was sacred to the bandidos--children, virgins, church property, private property--and the violent took what they wanted by force, destroying along the way, documents, deeds, and male members of prominent families. Such a time I hope our country never sees. With total breakdown of government, the townspeople of Huandacareo organized their own defense. I document this story here, because there are many people who fled to the United States during those years. In the case of our particular family, our grandfathers focused our attention on the future available to us in the United States and little was said about those turbulent times in Mexico. We have become American citizens and are truly blessed. But I also recognize that my roots are in Mexico, the Mexico that my grandparents loved and fought for. It is true that initially the Presidents of Mexico were determined by assassination, but it is also true that Mexico has prevailed in the power of the electoral ballot. The bandidos established their party, now known as PRI, but in 2000, Vicente Fox of PAN (National Action Party) was elected President.

I dedicate this site to this new Mexico and say: God be with you, Mexico, lindo!

No comments:

Post a Comment